Project: Boston Crusaders & Animal Farm

I recently had the opportunity to make over 120 leather masks for the The Boston Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps. They toured the 2014 season with the theme ‘Animal Farm’

My assignment was to take the following animals; goat, dog, ram, horse, pig, chicken, and crow and turn them into recognizable, breathable, and sturdy masks that could be worn for the color guard’s full performance (and repeating performances through the season) What I would like to share today are some photos of the progress and design of these masks.

The finished product being worn by the BAC Color Guard can be see at the sites at the bottom of this page.  You can also search #bostoncrusaders on twitter and Instagram for photos of the show.

 

Please check out their preview trailer for the season on youtube: 
Thanks for reading!
(feel free to leave a comment below if you have any questions about this project)

Once Upon A Time

One of my masks appeared (albeit briefly) on ABC’s hit television Series Once Upon A Time season 3 episode 4 entitled ‘Nasty Habits’ which aired Sunday October 20, 2013

brown_wolf_nondecaf_by_nondecaf-d6ojdx8

The mask in question was one of my Wolf designs that I usually do in a 5 – 6oz leather. I wanted to try out the thicker 8 – 9oz leather many other mask artists use, and now I know why they use it! It holds carving detail incredibly well and I’m fond of the ‘woodgrain’ look you can get with it when using brown leather dye. The folks from Once Upon A Time did chose the woodgrain textured mask for the production. Since then I’ve got to producing several styles of my Wolf Mask in that 8oz leather. Some of the results can be seen in my shop and in the images below.

Armor Knight Mask Progress

IMG_0301.JPG

 

I was recently commissioned to make two more of my Armor Knight style masks.

The original mask of this style was not made with a pattern so it was interesting trying to reconstruct what I had done to make it the first time around….

Knight Mask 1

I had some trial and error with cutting out pieces that would fit together and look like the original, unfortunately i didn’t realize this until after i had gotten it painted…in the below photo you can see where I removed the forehead/nose guard piece and had to cut and attach new one.

As you can see it turned out alright and the customer was please with the final result!

Knight Mask 2

IMG_0299IMG_0300